Wheat Berry Black Bean Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups chopped onion
1 3/4 cups chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup Nature's Earthly Choice Wheat Berries
2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
Serving For: 8
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; sauté 15 minutes or until tender. Stir in Wheat Berries; sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, 2 teaspoons cumin, and beans. Remove 1 1/2 teaspoons adobo sauce from can of chipotle chiles; reserve remaining chipotle chiles and adobo sauce for another use. Add 1 ½ teaspoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle chiles to the onion mixture and simmer 30 minutes or until Wheat Berries are tender. Add tomato paste to onion mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Cumin Scented Wheat Berry Lentil Soup
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups cold water
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 large carrots, finely chopped
1 medium red onion, diced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 cups Nature's Earthly Choice Wheat Berries
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups French green or brown lentils*, sorted and rinsed
1 bunch rainbow or red chard, large stems discarded, leaves roughly chopped
- Cook Wheat Berries as directed on package.
- Combine lentils, broth and water in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until the lentils are tender, but not mushy, 25 to 30 minutes (brown lentils take a little longer than green).
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat.
- When the lentils are tender, stir Wheat Berries and chard into the pot. Cover and simmer until the chard has wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrot mixture and lemon juice.
- French green lentils are firmer than brown lentils and cook more quickly. They can be found in natural-foods stores and some supermarkets.
* French green lentils are firmer than...